Waredaca is excited to host its 2023 Summer Derby Cross series!
JUNE 29 🔹 JULY 13 🔹 AUGUST 31
What is Derby Cross?
A course of show jump and cross-country fences set in the field with the goal to jump clean and inside the optimum time. Riders can enter as individuals or as a team (up to 5 riders per team).
Simply write your Team Name on the Strider Entry Form in the “Team” field.
This will be a fun, constructive outing designed to support a positive horse/rider experience.
What levels will be offered?
Elementary (2’3’’) through Training (3’3’’):
Teams will show jump at 2’3’’ and then each rider chooses what height they want to jump at each cross-country numbered obstacle.
How do I enter?
Enter via Strider by noon the Monday before each derby. WE FILL EARLY – DON’T DELAY!
Entry fee: $60 per rider
When you register via Strider, make sure you attach your horse’s current negative Coggins and follow the link on Strider to fill out a current waiver of liability on the Waredaca Farm website.
All riders must wear protective head gear, vest, and emergency bracelet.
How does scoring work?
- The rider or team closest to the optimum time wins!
- Individual divisions will be placed through 6th. Teams will be placed through 3rd.
- Refusals and circles on course just add to the rider’s time. No additional jumping fault penalties are added to the final score.
- Rails down will result in 4 seconds of time added or subtracted to rider/team time based on if they are below or above optimum time; if below the optimum time, 4 seconds are subtracted. If above the optimum time, 4 seconds are added.
What are the prizes?!
1. Prize for the top Hunt Club Team at the end of the series (must enter at least 2 out of 3 derbies)
2. Prize for the top Pony Club Team at the end of the series (must enter at least 2 out of 3 derbies)
Points will be awarded based on final placing at each derby (10 pts for 1st, 6 pts for 2nd, 3 pts for 3rd, 1 pt for completing the course but not placing)
Teams must be made of the same riders for points to count (horses can change)
- If the weather is questionable, all riders will be emailed IF the schooling evening is canceled by 12 noon the day of.
- Casual boots, breeches, polo or other conservative shirt, and protective headgear with harness are required.
- Park in the corner parking field.
- Check-in @ Indoor Arena Corner Office.
- Time requests will be considered but not guaranteed.
- Dogs are welcome but must be leashed at all times.
- EMT, VET, and Farrier are ON CALL.
- Bring your own water.
- The brewery is open!
- Any questions: email Katherine at [email protected].
Rules for Individuals:
- Riders must jump only the fences at their entered level and jump them in order.
- If a rider has a refusal at a cross-country fence, they may choose to school a lower-level fence at that number before re-approaching the judged fence.
- Four (4) refusals on course is cause for elimination. The rider may be allowed to school additional fences at the discretion of the judge.
Rules For Teams:
- All riders must jump each fence before the team continues to the next fence.
- Riders on a team must jump fences in a line following one another, no jumping in tandem. They may choose to change the order of their line at any time.
- All riders on a team will jump show jumps at 2’3’’. They may then choose what height cross-country fences they jump along the course at each numbered obstacle. (For example… at cross-country fence 6, rider 1 may choose to jump Novice while rider 2 jumps BN and rider 3 jumps T.)
- Time starts when the first rider crosses the start line and stops when the last rider crosses the finish line.
- If a rider on a team cannot get over any of the options at a numbered fence after 3 attempts, they may go around the fence and continue to the next fence with their team. The team will be eliminated but may continue on course for schooling purposes.